Friday, November 28, 2008

I'm painting again this week, lots of small works. I had hoped to start on a bigger one for the Derbyshire Open in Buxton, which if 2009 was like 2008 allows any artist to enter providing the subject is about Derbyshire. I like to enter competitions with subjects because it gives that one small part of me that is a show-off the chance to invent something that nobody else would think of. Actually though, I think even if I were the only entrant I would be exactly as inventive because fundamentally I compete only with myself.

Next on today's ticklist is a painting of God actually which almost makes me sound religious. But what is "God" but the anthropomorphisation of the universe... one with whom a social creature like a simian ape can form a relationship when the reality of a void is untouchable.

3 comments :

John Salmon said...

Hi Mark, many thanks for the mention a few posts back. I'll be intrigued to see your latest paintings.

As if things aren't hard enough, you do push yourself to go the extra mile. I like that.

The thing I found hardest with my more "quirky" pieces was digging deep into the imagination and trying to come up with new ideas or new ways to present the familiar.

Anyway, good luck and be sure to post the results on here. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with.

John Salmon said...

Doh! Just realised your blog title is an anagram of your name.

Mark Sheeky said...

Yep. The two k's rather limit the possibilities!