Friday, November 28, 2008

Painting God

I'm painting again this week, lots of small works. I had hoped to start on a bigger one for the Derbyshire Open in Buxton, which if 2009 was like 2008 allows any artist to enter providing the subject is about Derbyshire. I like to enter competitions with subjects because it gives that one small part of me that is a show-off the chance to invent something that nobody else would think of. Actually though, I think even if I were the only entrant I would be exactly as inventive because fundamentally I compete only with myself.

Next on today's ticklist is a painting of God actually which almost makes me sound religious. But what is "God" but the anthropomorphisation of the universe... one with whom a social creature like a simian ape can form a relationship when the reality of a void is untouchable.