Monday, October 26, 2009

Money

The sky parts are now complete on my painting. I'll pause for a few days now.

First an announcement. Some of my original paintings including unseen works will be on sale on November the 11th at the Down To A Fine Art Gallery. All paintings are priced at £111.

Today I've been working on music. Music and painting are both quite similar but I normally approach them in very different ways. Capturing the instant idea in a sketch is more easily done with a pen than in a sequencer. I can too easily get bogged down in one little bit near the start, losing track of what the next bit was going to be. I'm stuck between trying to do it "the visionary way" with a sketch beforehand that sums it up, or "the crafting way" of playing around until something pretty happens. I paint the visionary way.

I feel too Kubrickish. What is the difference between Stanley Kubrick and Steven Spielberg? Both fine artists of film, Stanley Kubrick would think and think and perfect and perfect, such that A.I. absorbed over 20 years of thinking. Steven Spielberg gave the impression of glancing at it and whisking it out in two weeks. There's definitely something to be said for just going for it and worrying about "perfection" levels after it is done.