Monday, December 07, 2009

Gethsemane

Full day today. First I repainted the sky part of my colour study for "Abandoning..." I think it looks much better now. I'll keep hints of green in the turquoise sky because a green sky is sadder than a blue one. Then a walk, followed by printing a promotional copy of my "Stupid Computer Music" for a German radio station, posting an exhibition application to a London gallery called The Muse, and a letter a friend.

In the afternoon I was going to finish the colour study to a painting called "Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane" but the picture looked a little "empty". Here it is, the first study. Like most of my studies, this is just a quick guide to establish the tones and colours of the underpainting.

My walk took me though some trees so I decided to revisit my "garden" and add a wooded background, a twisty English wood with lots of interlocking oak branches and lots of detail. I drew the woods and traced them on the panel which had been ready for paint for almost a year.

3 comments :

Kathy said...

Mark, This is an impressive study. I think the overall design and values that you've established create drama and emphasis. I like both the variety and repetition of forms which create a rhythm: evidence of your strong connection to both music and visual art. And, you've achieved harmony and balance in the overall design while maintaining a mood of inner conflict and angst. Nice! The only thing that concerns me is the placement of the branch tips on the right side of the tree up against the sharp edge of the ray of light. Seems like there should either be an extension of the branches across that line, or they should stop well before it. Otherwise, I can't wait to see the finished work!

Mark Sheeky said...

Thnaks for the comment. You might be right about that edge! The baackground I drew yesterday covers that part substantially though. New study needed! I'm putting so much work into this one, I'm beginning to wish it was huge. It will have to be huge on a medium scale. The pic will be about 80x50cm.

Kathy said...

Mark, I was wondering about the overall dimensions of the painting. It has the feel of a much larger work, but the smaller size can be just as effective. Your concepts are complex and original, and so very interesting to study. That, coupled with your technical skills, and determination is enough to propel you forward in the art world! Keep going ...