Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Annunciation Colours

Today I painted the first colour study to my Annunciation picture. Most of the colours came naturally and were influenced by van Eycks Annunciation. Here are the two.



My photo is brighter. The part in the top right is nearly full black. There were a lot of browns and the false horizon was a bit of dilemma. The warm colours nearby suggested a cool colour, but a warm wall also seemed natural. The entire picture is mostly yellow browns, and it's probably the picture's destiny to stay that way.

3 comments :

Kathy said...

I like your approach to selecting a color palette. The proportions of color are also very important, and it looks like you've used the brightest reds and blues as accents. Makes sense to me. The design is fascinating!

-Don said...

The translucency in the fish's tail is an excellent touch...

-Don

Mark Sheeky said...

Thanks, my faithul friends Kathy and Don. I'm not too sure about the colours but it's hard to see a better alternative. The brownness of the original is all consuming! This was a useful test and only took one day. I've decided to add drop shadows to the flower petals (that is, the white shards at the end of the left arm of the window in the sky)

!