Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Nine Ladies Weeping...


The Nine Ladies is complete! Here is a quick photo while it's wet. I'll scan it and post a better image in about two weeks... with luck it will dry in time! The painting surface had an annoying sandpaper texture which interfered with the glazing a little, but overall I'm reasonably pleased with this. It took about ten days work in total, of which six were painting and the rest composition, modelling, drawing, surface preparation etc. but of course it was based on a previous painting from last year so that helped.


Next I must make and decorate the frame. I've got three other paintings awaiting a glazing layer of some sort too, and up to ten drawn out and awaiting underpainting. Tick tick! For the rest of today though I'll rest. Have a nice day everyone.

7 comments :

The Scrybe said...

This looks amazing! Looking forward to the next scan :)

-Don said...

Sweet! Can't wait to see it more clearly when you have your scan complete. Thanks for the detail shot - it whets my appetite...

-Don

Andrew Williams said...

Wowza. Once again, your artwork is striking and powerful. This should attract a lot of positive comment!

hwfarber said...

I was waiting for this one--it lives up to my expectations (which were high).

Kathy said...

Fantastic! Another great piece, and I really like how you handled the forms, light, and shadows. Your limited palette is very effective. Wish I could see it in person.

Sheila said...

A haunting and moving piece Mark. It moves me. Congratulations.

Mark Sheeky said...

Thanks for the warm comments everyone. The colours are a bit stronger in real life and are based on viridian and manganese mauve, a green and plum purple that make a suprising and nice range of blues when mixed. I wanted to create an otherwordly atmosphere to a monument of the past that is now just a few weathered lumps of rock.