Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wednesday

I wonder if the success of a surrealist can be calculated by the gap between the surreal persona and the actual one? It seems that a lot of surrealists I've encountered definitely have one of each.

I'm rather annoyed and disappointed today. I haven't done anything much but I did pop into my art group to collect three paintings. It's a three mile walk and it was raining quite heavily which meant that by the time I arrived the canvas I'd planned on painting was as wet as my clothes and the surprise that I'd have to carry home the three paintings meant that I couldn't manage those and any work anyway, so I had to leave and trudge back in the rain. Only one picture got wet because the others were small enough to fit entirely in a carrier bag. At times like this I'm grateful I'm not a watercolourist! I'm also reminded of van Gogh's trudges. It's good to be a romantic artist like van Gogh (who I'm sure would have given anything to have married that cousin he was obsessed with, and then not have ever needed to become an artist at all). It's not good to be a lunatic depressive who is blind to his own merits though. I'm increasingly glad that I never got into absinthe! In fact I've only been drunk once in my life. I don't regret not drinking. My skin is young even if my digestive system has been damaged by anxiety.

Right! Enough uncharacteristic rambling. The art shall continue, but not today. Have a good day dear reader.