Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wednesday

I wonder if the success of a surrealist can be calculated by the gap between the surreal persona and the actual one? It seems that a lot of surrealists I've encountered definitely have one of each.

I'm rather annoyed and disappointed today. I haven't done anything much but I did pop into my art group to collect three paintings. It's a three mile walk and it was raining quite heavily which meant that by the time I arrived the canvas I'd planned on painting was as wet as my clothes and the surprise that I'd have to carry home the three paintings meant that I couldn't manage those and any work anyway, so I had to leave and trudge back in the rain. Only one picture got wet because the others were small enough to fit entirely in a carrier bag. At times like this I'm grateful I'm not a watercolourist! I'm also reminded of van Gogh's trudges. It's good to be a romantic artist like van Gogh (who I'm sure would have given anything to have married that cousin he was obsessed with, and then not have ever needed to become an artist at all). It's not good to be a lunatic depressive who is blind to his own merits though. I'm increasingly glad that I never got into absinthe! In fact I've only been drunk once in my life. I don't regret not drinking. My skin is young even if my digestive system has been damaged by anxiety.

Right! Enough uncharacteristic rambling. The art shall continue, but not today. Have a good day dear reader.

6 comments :

Susan Roux said...

The gap between the two? Are you suggesting that the larger the gap the more successful the artist becomes?

Very interesting. I'll have to contemplate that a bit...

Might you be seeing this in yourself?

Mark Sheeky said...

Hi Susan, Actually I meant a smaller gap is better. No, not in myself. It was a casual comment because I'd been reading a few surreal blogs and on all of them the writing is quite different to the writer's comments. I thought it was strange that both could be as authentic. Perhaps it should seem natural... if surrealism is about dreams. After all dreams and real life are different but equally valid.

Andrew Williams said...

Perhaps it is not the gap, but the bridge that spans it.

Jennifer Wadsworth said...

Mark - I'm new to the electronic world ... at least this portion. Thanks for the addresses earlier today. Once when I was painting at the beach, I spilled my water bottle on my canvas. I kept painting anyway and the effects were amazing. It's hard to control but procudes a lot of texture and imagery with very little paint.

As to the gap ... acknowledge and enjoy. Right brain is nirvana!

hwfarber said...

Take lots of naps and the gap between real and surreal will diminish.

Kathy said...

Trudging through the rain with your art is not a happy experience. In a tangential way, it reminds me of Munch, who decided that his painted canvases were "bad children" and left them outdoors propped against his shed in the rain and snow to punish them. I'm amazed that any of his work survived! I had to take my newest watercolor paintings out in the rain today to show to a group of budding artists. However, they were properly wrapped and didn't get wet. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you!!