Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fugue Poetry

Painting the tree object all day yesterday. Tracing The Starcrossed Escape today at Art Support. All slow work but rewarding.

Poems continue and last night I wrote a fugue poem, a poem that tries to use rhyme and repetition in a similar way to the melody in a fugue.

The poem opens with one line as the main theme. In a musical fugue this would then repeat in a different key, but here I've repeated the line but with new words interspersed with the first ones. The process is repeated in a poetic dance, and eventually the poem resolves, but the rhymes and original words of the main theme feature many times throughout the poem, giving it a hypnotic quality and a feeling not unlike a fugue by J.S. Bach, whom by merry chance is the subject of the poem.

I won't post the poem yet. One problem regarding blogged poetry is that it often automatically prevents its entry into a competition, as most contests don't permit poetry that has been published, even online. However, I think I still should blog the principle behind the poem here. I'll explore the idea further and post some examples sooner or later.

For the next few days though I must continue painting.