Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fugue Poetry

Painting the tree object all day yesterday. Tracing The Starcrossed Escape today at Art Support. All slow work but rewarding.

Poems continue and last night I wrote a fugue poem, a poem that tries to use rhyme and repetition in a similar way to the melody in a fugue.

The poem opens with one line as the main theme. In a musical fugue this would then repeat in a different key, but here I've repeated the line but with new words interspersed with the first ones. The process is repeated in a poetic dance, and eventually the poem resolves, but the rhymes and original words of the main theme feature many times throughout the poem, giving it a hypnotic quality and a feeling not unlike a fugue by J.S. Bach, whom by merry chance is the subject of the poem.

I won't post the poem yet. One problem regarding blogged poetry is that it often automatically prevents its entry into a competition, as most contests don't permit poetry that has been published, even online. However, I think I still should blog the principle behind the poem here. I'll explore the idea further and post some examples sooner or later.

For the next few days though I must continue painting.

2 comments :

Kathy said...

I've been reading through many of your posts, trying to catch-up. Nearly impossible! You're amazingly productive in so many disciplines. I'll try to keep up with your posts now that I'm back in NY.

Mark Sheeky said...

Hi Kathy welcome back! Based purely on the books you read, analysis you write and art you produce I'll bet you are every bit as productive as I am. I'm already looking forward to your new blog posts!