Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Painting Update

I'm currently working on two pictures. The daylight hours are taken up with a picture called The Art of Painting, a complex picture which includes a few different styles of painting including one of Raphael's seraphs, a cave painting and an abstract version of the same figure, and a cubist representation of The Procuress by Dirck van Baburen. I painted a version of this 18 months ago but I thought it deserved a new version because my abilities have changed considerably since then. The other picture I'm working on is in the planning stage and is a large figure painting depicting the beheading of Holofernes, a subject painted perhaps most famously by Caravaggio. My surrealist interpretation is less about Judith and perhaps more about another famous painter of this subject, Artemisia Gentileschi.