Friday, December 11, 2009

Acrylic And Oil

I've been very busy over the past couple of days, working on sound effects today and yesterday and at my art group on Wednesday using experimental techniques, which have worked so far. Common wisdom states that oil and acrylic shouldn't be mixed but in the few instances where I have combined the two the results have been stable. Both soften in alcohol and perhaps softening in this way before applying another layer will create a bond between layers. I hope to perform some more rigourous experiments.

3 comments :

Andrew Williams said...

I would caution that a long term experiment might be needed - will the mix still be stable in, say, three years? I'd hate to see your wonderful artworks dissolve a few years down the line.

Mark Sheeky said...

Hmm, not sure about anything dissolving. It's very common to use acrylic grounds for oil paintings, almost all canvases are prepared with them nowadays, however there are concerns about adhesion both with oil on slick acrylic, and acrylic on oil. In themselves, both are very stable polymers. Rest assured I've got no plans to paint my normal detailed paintings with any acrylics, but have made a few nice pictures that have involved diluted acrylic under oil. Also, I've painted over old oil paintings with acrylic to cover them up before re-using the back of the panel and they've remained stable.

Kathy said...

I was wondering the same thing as Andrew. I haven't heard of this technique before.