Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas Is About Presents

Christmas Is About Presents, Oil on panel, 24x34cm.

Two years ago we exchanged Christmas cards at my art group, but despite being artists everyone gave normal bought ones! I decided to paint a card each year, and this is the card for 2009. Each has a sketch inside; for the members of Art Support I drew an animal for each person. This year, with so many members compared to last, a decision was made not to give cards in future years.

The picture is a bit unusual for me because I just made it up, instead of using models or images to copy from. The underpainting was simple greyscale.

5 comments :

Kathy said...

It's wonderful! And, probably even better because you relied solely on your imagination. Great design and the limited palette which you typically use brings harmony to the work. I particularly like the stylization, and the message reflects what Christmas has become.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I like its whimsical presentation and the shining star.
Thank you for actually mentioning Christmas, which has become endangered (but don't get me started).
I also notice as soon as I opened your blog page, that your title is a scrambled version of your name.
Could I be watching too much Wheel of Fortune?

PAMO said...

It's a beautiful card with such a fresh perspective. The colors, the design, the meaning. A wonderful treasure.
I also spent some time on your website reading your poetry. Thank you for posting your words- I read every one.
I hope you have a peaceful holiday season. I'm sure many in your art group will be saddened not to get such a personal card next year!

-Don said...

Great work, Mark. It's a beautiful card with such a strong message. I absolutely love the tear...nice touch.

Personal cards are the best.

Merry Christmas,

-Don

Mark Sheeky said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll still paint one next year I think even if just for a few friends. This was really a case of a bit here and there, odd days when I had the time. Thank you for your words PAMO. I hope you found some of the poems interesting.

And yes, Armenian When Shy, my blog title is an anagram :)

Mery Christmas everyone, even if merry usually means drunk. Merry but sober Christmasses to everyone!