Monday, May 17, 2010

Framing

I completed The Death Of Man today. No time for a full glaze but I glazed the rose and the moon window to great effect. I also began the frame decoration. I've decided to try to decorate every frame. It will do me good to learn different craft techniques, and a good frame will enhance a painting; the frame is part of the artwork.

For this one I decided to cover it with red rose leaves. Extensive 24 hour tests on a leaf indicate that my immortalised rose leaves will last at least 1000 years! I dyed the leaves then coated them with acrylic medium. What can happen to a leaf over time? It can rot/dry/crack... the acrylic medium will hold it together and lock in moisture (besides these are adhered to a solid wood surface). It can discolour... my dye is lightfast. That explains the redness of the leaves. Petals might have suited the painting better but they are rather delicate and, just as important, it's May and the roses have fine leaves but no petals.

The painting is drying. Next! I'll file my application for the RBSA Prize Exhibition next month then tomorrow draw the new outlines for the second "Remembering Summer". That is no easy task because I've got some blurry old photos in it this time. I love a challenge. Bon soir mon amis and amies.