Sunday, May 16, 2010

Threadneedle Prize

I've registered to enter The Death Of Man into the Threadneedle Prize today. The prize states:

"Works should be based on observation and experience, not on a conceptual or abstract world. Artists are encouraged to engage, excite and challenge the public on subjects of contemporary and topical significance. Submissions based on the human figure and other major themes are also welcome."

There is so much contradiction and mystery in that paragraph that it itself should be eligible for an art prize. Let's try to work out what they mean.

"Works should be based on observation and experience, not on a conceptual or abstract world."

All visual art is based on observation and experience and is conceptual and is abstracted. I assumed by their statement they were trying to discourage "weird" art by unskilled idiots. This is my overriding impression of the whole paragraph, and as such have deemed my skilled imaginative-realist work applicable, even though my work is certainly conceptual and abstracted.

"Artists are encouraged to engage, excite and challenge the public on subjects of contemporary and topical significance."

As opposed to...? Those artists who try to bore the public with irrelevant subjects will be disappointed at their lack of eligibility to enter. Or in other words; every artist in history would consider themselves applicable based on that sentence. I think they mean "we want something modern and intelligent, NOT "weird" art by unskilled idiots."

"Submissions based on the human figure and other major themes are also welcome."

So the human figure is a major theme, but "minor themes" are fine too!

Most amusing. I look forward to entering this. It means that I have to finish my picture tomorrow because the delivery date is less than two weeks away. No time for many fine glazes then. I'll add a layer to the rose and moon/sky but leave the figure and background as they are.

4 comments :

Jennifer Wadsworth said...

The entry call is more than amusing, I agree with you. I would love to see your entry ... any more information? What group is it, I'd like to visit their webside if they have one. I will google Threadneedle Prize and see what comes up. I prepare entry calls once in awhile ... this one allows even the unskilled idiots to enter ... it's almost an invitation as they wouldn't think it applied to them.

Mark Sheeky said...

There's a £25,000 prize... that's no joke :) I haven't finished painting my entry yep (eep! with two weeks to go, and it's oils) but there's a pic on an earlier post of mine if you search for The Death Of Man.

I wonder what sort of picture they are actually looking for though?

Kathy said...

It reads to me like they want reality-based work rather than fantasy. Nevertheless, I hope the jurors can see beyond this narrow requirement and appreciate your substantive and imaginative approach. Good luck!

Mark Sheeky said...

Fantasy is my reality. Looking at past years it seems that my picture is appropriate; in fact I designed it partly with this prize in mind. Unfortunately it's taken so little time to paint, yet so pleases me, that my pricing formula has accidentally failed for the first time. More wonderful challenges :) Thanks for the comments Jennifer and Kathy.