Thursday, February 17, 2011

X


This is a small painting about heartbreak I painted in acrylic on Wednesday at my art group. It began with no real aim, then I saw a study of Sargent's Madame X and decided to draw it. I noticed that the negative space on the left was like the facial profile so I put a face there, then I roughly painted it, often choosing the only wet colours on the palette because the acrylics dried so quickly. I should really try a stay-wet one because it annoys me so much to mix a colour and find it's turned to plastic within minutes! At the end I painted the broken heart because I was feeling that way that day. It's rough and blotchy but I liked it enough to sign, if not enough for my website.

Today I've completed the drawing on The Invisible Woman, and added more to another drawing called The Quest For Pity on the Road to Self-Destruction. I started drawing that last one over a year ago! I must get a move on with it.

3 comments :

-Don said...

Nice one, Mark, entirely worthy of your signature. I can feel the ache.

When I paint with acrylics I always make sure my color is mounded up nicely and not spread out too much after I mix it. This helps slow the drying time on the palette a lot. I also drip a touch of water onto the mound as I work with other colors. It's always a challenge here in the desert to keep things moist. I've gotten so used to it, though, that now if I try to paint in a humid environment I have to make adjustments.

-Don

Kathy said...

I'm catching-up on your posts now (sorry for the long absence) and continue to be blown away by the level of your productivity. I remember seeing "Madame X" at a nearby museum several years ago. It's awesome! There's a book about the lady and the impact this painting had on her life. I read it a couple of years ago and it adds so much more meaning to the painting. Your transformation of it is very interesting!

Mark Sheeky said...

Hi and thanks for the comments. I chose that pic just because it was in a "how to paint" book at my art group and I felt like drawing a figure. I've since tried a damp cellulose (rather dense) sponge as a palette and it does stop the paint from drying. It DOES soak up the paint a bit though (the fluid acrylics in particular) but it's easy to wash when finished.

You're lucky to see the painting in person Kathy. The nearest I'll probably get is seeing John's grave :D - and that's only a maybe. I hope your move is going well.