Monday, February 15, 2010

PC Woes

Computer trouble, which I always find stressful has been prevented work over the past few days. It might be that I need a new hard drive. This PC which is only five months old only worked correctly for the first ten days. After that intermittent driver errors, which I think were caused by a loose cable in the casing, caused lots of problems and meant that I had to boot three or four times each time I wanted to turn the machine on. More recently Windows freezes completely with the hard drive light fixed on or fluttering wildly, a classic sign of impending hard drive failure, which would come as little surprise because for the past month it's been making a sound like a stick being held in a fan. Today I've defragmented, which crashed Windows, then ChkDisk kicked in, then I did a virus check just in case. All is clear. I am now prepared to buy a new hard drive, and reinstall Window XP because my OEM Vista came pre-installed and I can't restore it if the hard drive fails. Losing Vista is no real loss. I can't use Windows 7 because my modem isn't compatible. I expect a week of lost productivity. That's a lot.

4 comments :

Kathy said...

What a nightmare!! I hope you're all fixed very soon. It's awful to know that you've lost and entire week's work, especially because you're so prolific. Oh, dear.

Sheila said...

That Sucks!!! I hope it will be smooth sailing for you from now on.

-Don said...

Bummer, Mark. I HATE Vista and still fear Windows 7. I'll use XP until they make me stop. Good luck getting everything running smoothly. -Don

Mark Sheeky said...

All back. Thanks for the comments. I'm on XP now. I'm with you Don. Vista does appear to have less bugs but it is so slow and it forces you do be disorganised! I made the mistake of updating to the latest Winamp. It's now as large and invasive as iTunes or Windows Media Player. Grr.