Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Ordovician Landscape


I've scanned a couple of finished paintings recently and the above is one. I like it. I'm rather unhappy with my work this year and have hardly painting anything! But a few paintings are in progress and I feel that I have more energy, skill and time than last year.

My primary goal for May is to finish the album of songs started last month. Summer is nearly here! The Nantwich Arts Festival is coming in June and there are preliminary events too - and I could do something there if I think of something! So much to do. I must be better than ever but feel that my 2011 painting is unquick, unvibrant, unamazing, unsimple, unawake. I must work hard to reverse this.

The Quest painting is underpainted. I've spent more time on it than any painting for years, which has to be a good thing. I disliked it at first but I feel I'll start to like it more and more, the more I don't look at it, as with so many loves.

4 comments :

-Don said...

Mark, I have to admit that almost every painting I create has a period of time during the creation of it that I totally abhor it. For some reason it's a part of my process. Thankfully, the experience of painting, the exhilaration of finishing, and the rush of starting something new always make me forget that feeling - until I get to it again.

I love the sky in Ordovician Landscape. It's so rich and alive. Wow!

-Don

Mark Sheeky said...

Sometimes I like what I'm working on. Sometimes not. Oddly, it bears no relationship to how I like it "eventually". Sometimes I grow to like paintings over several years. It's often the ones I like at the time that I grow to dislike! I wonder if other artists are the same?

Shelley Whiting said...

Your paintings is very reflective and thoughtful. I love the simplicity and the way you capture dark and light.

Mark Sheeky said...

Hi Shelley, thank you! Is all good art thoughtful? or can it be just pretty and still be good?