Friday, July 15, 2011

Day Eight

The underpainting of this my largest painting is completed. I'm unhappy that I'll not have the time to complete this to the standard I'd like. I was over-ambitious in scale, however I've learned a lot from this painting.

I'm frustrated at my lack of output this year, trapped by too many large and unexpected projects, meaning that many of the paintings I had planned for the year remain unstarted. I've only completed about ten small paintings when my target was nearer forty. I consider only one or two good enough to show anywhere at all. Frustration frustration frustration!!

I must console myself on the positives and other achievements made. I dislike my work so much lately that the quality must be returning; relaxed confidence of ones brilliance is the best way to produce rubbish work. The giant paintings are nearly complete. Perhaps I can salvage 2011 yet.

Tomorrow I'm going to Liverpool to see an exhibition of works by Magritte. This morning I so wanted a day off. Now I'm rested and want to work twice as hard as before!

5 comments :

-Don said...

Mark, I've just now had the chance to read about your past 8 days. What I see is another artist going through the ups and downs of creation quite like I do. Isn't it amazing what this thing we do can do to us? Thanks for sharing your journey. It really helps to know that we artists aren't as alone in what we do and feel as we think we are in.

-Don

-Don said...

Oops. Ignore that extraneous 'in' at the end of my comment. Somebody should proof better before he hits publish...

Mark Sheeky said...

I know what you mean. I'll bet that Raphael or Rembrandt or Caravaggio any great painter of the past went through exactly the same ups, downs, anguishes and joys! In exactly that way your angst at adding that extra "in" proves you're an artist :)

John Salmon said...

Yeah but Raphael, Rembrandt or Caravaggio must have had it really tough. (Monty Python music starts).

I couldn't imagine painting in daylight only, with what must have been really crude tools and materials in comparison to what we have today; and so much reference material at our fingertips.

They were the truest of masters in my opinion; they would have laughed at the stupid things that give us angst.

Mark Sheeky said...

Photography helps me a lot, as does cheap materials (compared to those olden days - I can't imagine making my own brushes by catching my own ferrets and grinding my own paint). I still only paint by daylight though!

I think Raphael felt just as much angst. He messed up the bishop's hand in the Madonna del Baldacchino and felt so bad about it that he abandoned the painting... well that's what I think :)