Monday, November 09, 2009

Keele Three Counties Open 2009

I've just returned from the opening to the Three Counties Open at Keele University, an annual open art exhibition where one of my paintings was selected. The variety of work there shows what a difficult choice the judges have. Only about 115 paintings are selected from over 450 entries.

I'm never quite sure what to make of exhibitions. I can analyse artworks. I'm good at analysis but what I "like" is very driven by my analysis. If I don't know what to feel I get stuck. It's rare for me to have instant likes or dislikes, but I can see the good points and bad points, merits and flaws in just about anything.

The judges are different each year, which is a nice feature, and prizes were awarded. The winner used pieces of glass to add a texture not evident from a distance to make a abstracted set of figures that looked a bit like Les Demoiselles d'Avignon in thick scribble.

There were many good works there. Hare at Sunset by Kate Gandolfo stood out and was commended by the judges too.