Saturday, April 03, 2010

Frame Two

Frame Two

Well, I decided to erase and repaint the frame today. The results are awful. The photo looks much better than the painting does in real life, but I felt I had to repaint this, partly as penance for my previous haste regarding the frame painting. It's an amazing fact that the frame so far has taken as long to paint as all of the rest of the picture put together, and this is a big picture. The problem was that I drew the underdrawing before planning the shading. The paint itself was rather too thick too, due to the mars black which was practically like putty.


I'll need a sub-layer for this, that is a layer in lean media and opaque colours that smooths and perfects the underpainting. Pictures always look better with a sub-layer, but it is often the sign of failure, for the perfect picture needs a perfect underpainting done in one layer, and such things are quite possible, when the perfect artist pays attention! Remember; to a casual viewer a good oil painting looks "finished" at every stage. To a perfectionist artist every painting looks unfinished.

Tomorrow I must paint two female figures, or one. Either way I have real models but I must make them appear to be marble statues. I've done no tests on doing this but I'm sure that I can manage such a simple colour transfiguration with ease.

And now, more inspirational poetry!

Today might be your last.
Your measure in your past.
Your greatness must be proved today
to make your future vast!

Olé!

PS. That dark patch in the left-middle of the photo above is a flaw in my camera. Alas, all of my photos have it. I think the camera saw "The Omen" and became infatuated.

8 comments :

hwfarber said...

Are there really perfect paintings? I think all artists leave "soul lines."

I look forward to seeing the finished work.

Mark Sheeky said...

It depends on your definition of perfect :) It's quite possible, if you suspend belief and accept that everything perfect has a specific proportion of flaws. Even atoms make mistakes, after all.

Kathy said...

This post is particularly difficult for me to respond to because the level of perfection an artist aspires to is a personal decision. I think that the results speak for themselves, and your paintings show how much effort you put into them, both in thought and action. And, that's a good thing. One may have a great idea but if it isn't expressed well the idea is tarnished. I'm really curious to see the rest of this painting!

PAMO said...

Persistence. You've definitely got it. I too have difficulty responding to the issue of perfection. And I agree with Kathy that your paintings speak for themselves.
Your poem brings up for me a brutal fact. In the past month, we've lost three friends to violent death of their own making. (One suicide by cop, another death by stupidity, another looks to be suicide.) All were men in their 50's still with so much life left to live. It is just so senseless- and I am just so grateful to have art and people in my life who are interested in living.
Too much information? Sorry- everything I see lately relates to it. I don't think any of those men were concerned with proving greatness. But it does make me realize that life is what we make it.

Mark Sheeky said...

Wow Pam what an amazing thing to say. I often think about suicide and always have, it keeps me full of life. There's no point in killing yourself when it's going to happen anyway sooner or later, but at the end of each day I'll often think about whether I've made it a good day, justified my existence. Some people don't have the health or mind or eyes or abilities. It would be foolish not to use them while you have them because good health and a good mind won't last forever :)

PAMO said...

Mark- I'm glad you put so much into each day. I try to do the same. And like you say- not everyone is capable, for whatever reason, to make life productive and meaningful. I forget that sometimes.

hwfarber said...

When I was younger (under 40)I constantly asked why I was here and whether I was contributing. I read many books and came across this: "If you don't question the existence of a squirrel, why question your own."

I don't remember the name of the book but, for some reason, that sentence has always helped.

Mark Sheeky said...

I often question the existence of squirrels. I knew I did something wrong! :)