A long sleep, close to 12 hours and many vivid dreams. I was watching a film, a dark and grainy black and white film in a square spiral-stair tower of concrete, something like an M. C. Escher print with a spattering of Ingmar Bergman. A group were ascending but it got darker and scarier, until it became near pitch black. They seemed to sense that they were ascending to hell, a place behind a distant door at the 'top'. They retreated and things grew lighter, but oddly, descent started to make things darker again after a certain point.
In another part of the dream I was shown a painting by ancient Blue Peter presenter Peter Purves, telling a friend that I knew he was a painter, and rather good, that I met him at an art group hosted by John Craven which I'd attended once or twice.
I awoke feeling slow and still somewhat tired. My throat is a little sore and dry, the October disease, this rawness which hits my throat and ears, upper chest when the days turn cold. I'd be tempted to think it was due to the dryness of central heating if we had any heating here, but it seems to be endemic.
I started work on the 'Women and Wives' video. My plan was to create animated masks to reveal the filmed components, then add a top layer of additive glow effects. This went to plan, a square pulses with the drum beat, this done by saving out a list of all of the frame numbers with a drum hit (exporting this list is a feature of Prometheus) then importing this as a list of Set Modulator events in Argus, each triggering the attachment of a modulator to the square's size. The same shape was duplicated in the glow track with a glowing object. The square slides side to side in a sine-curve, once every 300 frames. This is almost all of the video. The rest was done in AviSynth, first adjusting the lighting of the masked (revealed) parts, then inverting the mask and showing a dark grey outline of the video. For some reason, this plan was instant in my head before filming even began and it looked largely as planned.
So, this is complete. I have 'Smile to Fall' to do tomorrow.
I've been watching a Cliff Richard concert on television. He hasn't been 'cool' since the early 1960s, yet he's the epitome of a star and a brilliant singer. What is 'cool'? He is perhaps too nice, too passive, too smiley and subordinate for cruel society. Cruel society looks down on nice people; perhaps the element of 'nice' is designed to be looked down on, we smile and surrender, but what is polite or kind is oddly usurped, others leap upon the kind as 'weak' - an easy step up the ladder of hierarchy. We can tread on kind people for free, so despite their niceness, kindness, they are not seen as ideal citizens; unworthy because they paint themselves as such. When we are treated badly we want kindness, but when we are not, we want a degree of cruelty... a challenge which we can rise up to. So, perhaps Cliff is too nice to be cool again, and was cool only when rebellious. It was all down hill after ground-breaking rock song 'Move It'. Yet, star to the core he is. He can't escape his personality, nor can any of us. I loved his humour when he was jokingly mocked by Kenny Everett. Like any true artist, I hope he can and will keep going forever.
Last night I started to write a short song about Marie Louisa Wain, the sister of Louis who died in an asylum. I wonder if I can finish such a thing. If I manage it, it may be the only thing poor Marie has ever been given.
