Saturday, May 16, 2020

Music

Finalising the Taskforce music today. I've divided the missions into approximate themes and developed different music for each, usually two or three variations for imminent success or failure. As mentioned in the previous post, the themes were sort of generic rock/blues, hip-hop urban dance-ish, classical-ish for the zombies, more rock for the clones, and an analogue electronic piece for the robot or technological themed levels.

Spoiler alert; here's a chart of the music, which indicates the complexity of the task:

Overall I've made 29 pieces of music for the game, although the main theme is just about the same as the 2004 version, and most of the tracks are based around its instrumentation for reasons of artistic unity as well as convenience.

In programming I fixed a bug in the pathing, where walking over bridge supports was not permitted, and I've stopped background mouse-clicks in the icon area; it was all-too easy to miss an icon and send a unit walking miles away by accident.

There is one outstanding minor bug where centering your unit on upper levels in overhead view is not correct, but I think the project is nearing the end now.

I awoke at 9:30 after an eleven hour sleep. Feeling tired and unhealthy, the come-down from the energy required for this creative marathon. I miss Deb and hope that we can meet up soon. Taskforce has been a good distraction for the surrealism of Coronavirus 'lock down'. Art must soon call. One of my immediate art tasks is to queue up my remastered Animalia album. My goal of a new release of something every month this year is on track: Flatspace, War is Over, Burn of God (and Flatspace Soundtrack Albums on Steam), The Burning Circus (and Flatspace Music Pack 3), Synaesthesia this month, Animalia next, and Taskforce in July. I aim to release The Intangible Man story collection at some point too, so that leaves only four months of the year for new work. Exciting. Perhaps I can make this a regular goal.

Perhaps this Taskforce music has used up some of my musical creativity. I still have lots of musical ideas, a concept album in a very white/cyan hue called Dark Hyperborea about this strange pandemic. I also need to get painting at some point. I've completely neglected painting for months. Perhaps my passion for it has ebbed away a little.

Each day we must do our best, excel, prove, struggle, battle, aim for the perfect, push for the best.