Friday, April 03, 2020

Music Tweaks

I listened to Synaesthesia through headphones last night, a final check, and found lots of panning that could be improved. I now use speakers a lot more than headphones, actively avoiding the latter because it's hard to readjust into 'speaker mode' after listening to the super headphone quality. Speakers (monitors) are essential for mixing.

I hardly slept afterwards, a night of jitters and stomach problems, all symptoms of this wretched isolation. I had not been out since Monday but today went for a welcome walk today, seeing hardly anyone on the pavements. The cars were as numerous as ever. It appears that a balanced and healthy life including fitness and a responsibility to nature will not catch on, even if death is the alternative.

I spent today correcting the little, although time consuming, Synaesthesia issues, and doing more on the art. I don't have much material there; I need some more naturalistic work I think. Aesthetics is the balance between order and chaos and I have too much order. I'm pleased with the CD surface design, this is unique in the Cornutopia Music catalogue in that the title and artist are centred at the bottom rather than left/right, but I rather like it:

Here is the back so far:

This has enough variety, but the inner tray is very simple. It should look nice when showing through to the front, and when behind the disc, but it feels a little empty and too heavy and lacking is 'chaos' or naturalism:

The eight booklet pages are largely complete. Also on the cards today, a final headphone listen to Animalia to adjust its stereo panning. I have lots of music ideas and must try to move on. Will history remember the interminable days I spend tweaking? Yes, if the tweaking improves things; however, creation rather than polishing existing work is the goal of the artist.