Two days of glazing 'All Things Bright And Beautiful'. It went broadly to plan. It's been many years since I've glazed over a grisaille. It was a little surprised at how bright the colours were. The results are fine, although the light/dark contrast could be stronger:
I asked AI for input at times. It was useful, but the most interesting aspect was accidental. I asked it to make the sky more realistic. It didn't. It seems that, in the conversation, the first results and first input dominate, then a convoluted path begins which cannot be back-trodden. No command would reset to the start, except perhaps ending the conversation and starting again, though even with identical prompts, the results are different. I rather like this, a random element, an element of the organic, the uncontrolled. I digress.
The key part was that it did something strange to the floor. It 'saw' something like rock or shale in it, as sort of AI pareidolia, and enhanced it. Here's my underpainting floor, and it's floor:
I really like this because it wasn't requested or part of anything I'd suggested. One could say a random element, but, for me, random in the surrealist sense; not random, but the unconscious of the AI. Of course, I know how large language model AIs work; I know that it is sort of random, a marble-run through a squillion trained images, but, I'd argue, so is any surrealist act, and argue that randomness has been a crucial part of creativity for centuries (Mozart's 'Musikalisches Würfelspiel'; the eulogised randomness in Dada). I needed to paint the floor here in some way so the suggestion from an AI unconscious is valid and original if not revolutionary in this 4th year of the AI age.
What I like most about the whole episode is that I didn't ask for it, it was a spontaneous creative act. The rest of the painting, from concept to finish is mine, yet the texture of the floor is its.



