Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Good Vibes, Kay Sage

A nice day at Good Vibes today. I was pleased with my playing for a change, though I over did it with the singing of 'Dancing Queen' (I don't like Abba at the best of times, this song pushes the limit of too high to sing as well as being completely rubbish). Nice to spend lots of time with Mike as he kindly drove me to Bickerton and the art drop-off. I feel like I owe him much more in return. He's a wonderful friend to me and so many people, and a great person by every metric.

Deb is ill with a rotten virus, flu or Covid, her third period of work sickness in a month, each with something different. Many people asked after her in the library.

Generally I feel tired if not exhausted, unmotivated, weak. Some of this may be the summer allergies inflaming my cells, the effects of coffee which gives me low blood pressure; my resting heart rate typically around 60 and is often lower. Tiredness aside I still feel motivated and full of excitement, ideas, ambition, just seeming to lack the energy to enact them. I must at least glaze the desert woman, and the other paintings awaiting glazes.

My Cass Art Competition entry was rejected, so I've failed to be selected for any art competition so far this year. It's better to try than not. Still frustrated that my work looks much better in real life, yet all judgement now is digital. In the pre-digital era I tended to be selected every time; there's been a huge reversal when my technique now is at least as good and typically better in quality than any time before, and my subjects haven't particularly changed. My best work is always the least successful - must I lower myself by entering boring portraits and other things that idiots paint? No! I must instead continue, strive more, shout louder.

Most of these attempts were on the early works of this year (or earlier years), and this power-year of painting has included some definite transformations and concrete improvements. I read about Kay Sage, she seemed schizoid. She apparently wrote "I have said all that I have to say. There is nothing left for me to do but scream" - this will never be me. For me, a scream is something to say; and that which can be said should be expressed in art. I am at times solitary, but even if I don't get to show my paintings, even if my art remains unseen and packed away, I make it for others.

Onwards.