Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Sixth Rehearsal, Burn Of God Scores

Final, 6th, rehearsal for the Morecambe Poetry Festival. It seems we're on at 22:45, the headline slot.

All went fine. Most of the day spent with a little admin on the single release, which is now all set for 9th October 2026, and tedious sheet music work, which always annoys me by its pointlessness and the time it takes, yet it does have some point.

The score for Kyrie is rough, all lack things like string strokes and many polishing touches. It has 6 choral parts alone (3 male, 3 female), 6 string sections, a pipe organ and more. It feels as epic as the Missa Solemnis or Brian's Gothic Symphony, and that was the aim, but of course it's very short and musically simple compared to those. It's taken hours of work on this basic score that will almost certainly never be performed or gazed at by anyone, which is one reason I resent working on it, but history is full of scores unperformed for decades or centuries. A first step is to write it out. I do it also because nobody else could or would. Of course, I'd now love to re-record the album, as I could do far better today, but Burn Of God can wait a good few years yet.

I'd hoped to complete the sheet music for the album before we go to Morecambe but this seems unlikely. I'm stressed, overworked by it all, and not sleeping, but it will feel good to complete it.

I've completed 632 scores since I began this mammoth project of documenting my music in 2022. I'm past half way, and extrapolate a finishing date of 2029.