A few busy days. First completed the mixing of 'Women and Wives', it's now ready but I'd like to record 'Smile to Fall' as a B-Side. Spent yesterday morning filing and sorting some of the MIDI sequences on the MODX, all notes and ideas.
Today, delivered the two paintings to the PLATFORM gallery for their open, a walk of a mile or so, each painting weighing about 5kg, so something of a workout. Almost all of today though, and half of yesterday was spent framing the H. Beam Piper painting and 'The Empty House'. I've spent more time than usual here. Carefully selecting the woods and sections. Sanding before staining. Distressing and staining (a little distressing of the pine really helps the stain absorb, the result looks much better). Staining, then planing of 'The Empty House' one, but planing the bevel first on the other.
H.P.B. had black then red on top, creating a rich dark red which it enhanced on the grain, as the water-based black and solvent-based red absorb differently. This was varnished twice, sanding between coats, then the inner edge masked and sprayed with a subtle gold, exactly what I was aiming for. T.E.H. used brown stain, then red-shade-blue which resulted in a black with a very subtle green tinge. After staining the bevel was planed, exposing the pine, then the lot stained blue again, notably making the inner bevel blue. I wasn't sure how this would look, but it suits this night scene brilliantly.
Then gluing the frames, stapling, glass cutting, the spacer, backing board, labels, mirror plates, string, and finally measuring and weighing. Oh, I also gilded part of Beam Piper; the top left corner had an annoying gap where gold should be.
A frantically busy day then, but satisfying. I still have to photograph both frames.
