Saturday, January 09, 2021

Admin Saturday

Woke late after a disturbed night of many dreams.

My first job was to file and update my website with the new 'Jabberwock' sculpture. This involves updating the SQL database which lists all of my artworks (paintings, sculptures, digital art, albums, books... most of the things on my website). There are squillions of entries so I've made this easier by using a macro in a spreadsheet that builds the SQL command from the data in the cells. There's also the matter of sizing and uploading the images.

Next, I had to do this for my album art. I have a page that shows all of my album art, and every album cover is available as a print (or other product) on RedBubble, so I had to list 5 new albums on there (the latest five, such as the Flatspace covers, up to the new Fall in Green ones). It's quite a lot of admin work, typing those keywords and descriptions, and I've never yet sold an album print, but for neatness I like the idea of having them there at least as some sort of option. There are 46 album covers listed so far.

This took the morning up. Then a nice sunny walk in the park, which was very busy for a lock-down weekend, perhaps because the park is one of the few places anyone can go, and because it was a sunny day and a Saturday. Many children were zooming around on electric machines. Not so long ago, the children ran and the old people used wheels.

Back home, and uploading and preparing the Jabberwocky video, and a birthday present for Bruce. I also discovered that Google Play, which had listed my albums, is now discontinued, so I had to remove about 100 dead links. More admin.

So the day ends.

Culturally, my two engagements were with the New Music Show on Radio 3, one of two Christmas themed episodes. The presenter talked about one artist as something like 'one of the many women engaged in their solitary practice for the sake of art rather than fame or money'; a sexist point that made me feel yet more excluded. The bias of the presenter was (unusually) an annoyance a few times, but the music was as interesting, good, different, and inspiring as ever. The choices were often simple in instrumentation; pure vocal works, and one piece that used FM sine waves, something like telephone keypad tones.

My other engagement was listening to Kraftwerk for the first time, notably, The Man Machine. It's overall structure was the most interesting part, the reuse of musical themes.