Saturday, January 16, 2021

Prometheus Update, Jabberwock Dream

Updated my music software Prometheus today, to version 2.65, that's 65 updates since the first release. I tend to accumulate possible improvements or changes, and when I encounter a bug or need an essential new feature, I go through the list. Most of these changes were bug fixes.

It's possible to change, say, the tempo programmatically in a song, so that a song that starts at 120 B.P.M. might switch to 60 halfway through. It used to, for some reason, switch itself to 60 and forget that it was initially 120 at the start. I finally worked out why, so this was one bug to fix. Another was the time calculation. That tempo can be manipulated and modulated in any way - modulators are actually wav files, so can be very complex. I have a feature to calculate the exact timing (and exact sample) of the song at any point, which is useful sometimes. This had a little bug in it so that's fixed too.

It also felt good to switch jobs. My music seemed to have ground to a halt so I needed to pause and reflect. A walk at 3pm was hugely energising too although the park was packed with dog walkers, generally getting in the way. Almost nobody wore masks, perhaps 10%.

Last nights dreams were vivid. I had something like a virtual reality headset that allowed me to peer into a parallel universe; a sunny, spring-like vision of Crewe. It was deserted and I found myself peering into the empty British Home Stores shop. Somehow I stepped though this aperture, like the windows in His Dark Materials. Outside the shop, in the bright sun, was a huge red Jabberwock, its head the size of a Volkswagen Beetle. It sidled its head from side to side, seeking prey, and occasionally breathing fire. A second Jabberwock was there too. I darted outside and round a corner, then exited that world.

In a second dream, I found myself chatting to Queen Elizabeth II on Instagram, she was bored with palace life and has set up a new secret account. She sent a photo of her feet, then deleted it as inappropriate to share. I told Deb about our chat and she doubted it was really the queen, but I showed her that it was. The queen gave me a gift for my friendship, I think a bar or club or something like it, to be designed how I like, and she supplied a designer and lots of workmen. I spent some time wandering around the huge construction site, which was something like a Doom level.

Generally I found both dreams positive.