Thursday, July 29, 2021

Argus Modulators

A day of working on modulators. Argus, like my music software Prometheus, uses wav files as modulators, so a wave, in Argus, can move an object in any axis, or change anything else, and in Prometheus it can set the amplitude or pitch or filter or panning or anything like that. Because these are just wav files they can be far more complex than a mere ADSR envelope, and in many ways are easier to edit and manage.

Here are some examples:

Many of these are made from sine waves, because they work well, but I have angular fades and things like arcs and spikes, as well as noise and wobbles. These have been 2205 bytes or so for years, 20 years or so since Noise Station (in fact you can download the early versions of these, at time of writing, in the Noise Station distribution). My recent videos revealed that 2205 is not long enough... if you make an animation that lasts longer than 2205 frames, the result is jerky. You can't really hear this jerk in audio so much, but still, I realised that I really need higher resolution waves, so today I very carefully rebuilt all 140 or so library waves from scratch. Each needs very careful calibration, so that they start and end exactly on zero or one, or whatever, and have the correct maximum and minimum values.

To help me, Argus shows these values on the display. I've added tons of wav processing for making modulators. I can multiply two together, or append, or add, or flip in all sorts or ways, add noise etc.

The day and work is done. These days of emotionless admin-type work are satisfying. I feel the need to get going and seize each day, and I need money, but feel strangely in two minds about how or what to do, or whether to wait. I think we are feel ready for Wonderland and I played through Time, Falling on the piano. The show is in two weeks exactly.