Saturday, July 03, 2021

Wonderland Rehearsal

I was disturbed by an article on the dire expert predictions of the current Covid-19 wave, which our government seems keen to ignore. I find this alarming, but I focused on a job at hand and proofread a few more chapters of TMBWOD. I feel the need to paint something on Covid anxiety.

In the afternoon, another Fall in Green rehearsal. Less in depth, as we focused on a few complex tracks rather than the whole set. A little better than before. I need to memorise so much. The instrumentation etc. is finalised.

After that, a trip to B&Q to buy some wood for framing. I bought some 21x46mm pine, and some15x58mm 'torus' moulding, which is a pretty shape with a ridge at the narrow end which should be good for my favoured style of Dutch/Flemish framing. I've ordered some Golden Sandable Hard Gesso, which seems to be a good type for priming solid framing like this. I have both whiting (calcium carbonate) and titanium pigment, so could make my own gesso with either acrylic medium, PVA, or even rabbit skin glue if I felt crafty and a little masochistic due to its complexity. The PVA has appeal, as water would then make the surface gummy and ready to gild, but it would dry very quickly, and besides, would need colouring before the gold anyway.

I think an off-the-shelf acrylic gesso will do, but what is the best way to apply it? For panels, I use sponge rollers and this works fantastically. For colouring wood with acrylic paint I use sponges and watered down paint, which also works very well, but here I might need to use a brush. I feel that pouring some of the gesso into a bottle for dispensing will keep it fresher and be easier to use than dipping into the tub.