Thursday, July 08, 2021

Spree Killer, Frames, Paper

A full and tiring day. All of my days are tiring because I keep working until I can work no more.

I started by completing the glazing of Spree Killer. I changed the colouration of the underpainting slightly, using normal greens rather than turquoise for the floor. For the 'rocks' I used the very lightest of touches, tips of the brush yet miraculously this evened everything out well.

I've appeared in the local newspaper thanks to Nantwich Museum and my Neorenaissance exhibition there.

In the afternoon, I cut the wood for framing which I glued a few days ago. I decided to apply a coat of the new Golden Sandable Hard Gesso before cutting the wood. This is quite gloopy, more liquid, by memory than the Lascaux. Easy to apply with a sponge, but the water slightly bent the wood away, so it's probably better to apply only after the frame is made. I cut the frame too big - adding the rebate amount rather than subtracting it in a stupid error. I've made 200 frames or so. I was reminded than success comes at the cost of many prior mistakes.

I cut a second frame from the other wood, then recut this one smaller, to fit the Aspartame painting:

This moulding does look rather beautiful. I will probably make my frames in this style from now on, but it is more expensive and more work.