Tuesday, July 06, 2021

Covid, England Triptych, Lollipop Turbine

Very anxious about the current Covid-19 predictions and the government's seemingly idiotic strategy of letting the virus run wild from next week. What a comparison we have with the New Zealand government. My energy levels need to be directed at my work, and away from myself or any cause beyond control. The immediate future; like entering art competitions which might require delivery or transport in July or August seems uncertain and too risky. Our Knutsford performance, 6 weeks away, may be in jeopardy if cases double every 9 days (as is the case now) during this time. Essentially, I've decided to cancel entering everything and avoid going anywhere, and focus on art creation. We will keep rehearsing for Knutsford. I hope this will go ahead, it's something we've waited over a year for, but if the risk is too great, we can, again, postpone until a safer time.

I've continued to work on the paintings, two art generally prepared. I've decided to draw some tone studies again. I've done this a few times but not for a few years, perhaps I'm used to doing this on the canvas, but, there is merit in pre-planning, the adjustments are, at least simpler. Here is a study for Bunting Game, the third piece:

I've prepared the canvases, toned in Burnt Sienna. Now I regret this, as I'm thinking of greeny or yellowy hues for the works generally. Perhaps I should trace over a work only after these studies. I was going to plan a painting about Rachel Hudson, something I've wanted to do for years, but, again, I've stopped. The themes are disturbing and sad and I feel a change of mood is needed in my art.

In techniques, I'm wondering if I could underpaint something in browns and yellows, then glaze in any colour. This might be pretty.

I had an idea for a type of turbine based on the Tesla Turbine, which uses discs rather than propeller blades. These are only efficient at certain speeds and sizes which are impractical. I wonder if a spiral 'groove', actually a raised edge not a valley, could be used to control the flow of the steam/air/liquid at different times. This spiral could be bent for different optimal speeds and be raised more on the inside (or on the outside if this works better) to also extract as much as possible a constant force. This improvement might make the turbine more efficient at lower speeds. I hereby christen this design the Lollipop Turbine after the red spiral in a big lollipop.