Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Itch Amiga

A busy day. Started by finalising the Nantwich Exhibition plans. I decided to include the English Triptych, so ending with my latest work, and include some illustrations and 3D models, too. Things can stay in this state for the time being.

Then adding the Knutsford event to my website, and a new page for 2021 events. I think there will be more to come.

Then started work on the Amiga games. I have 20 and each needed testing. Hideous was rather buggy with different configurations, but I found one that worked.

I mainly needed to grab screenshots of each game, and type up lots of information about each.

Hopefully, this will be the last time I'll need to do this. 11 games completed so far, including the complex Blade which, with 3 floppy discs, needed to be virtually installed on an Amiga hard drive to run. So much of creativity isn't creativity, but the filing of it.

Nobody ever bought Blade or Hideous, and of all of my 'shareware' games I didn't receive a single registration, but I gained a few friends from the Taskforce coverdisk; including one of my oldest and closest friends, Andrew Williams. All of the hours and years of meticulous work I put into those Amiga games, over a decade of my life, and all for next to nothing. I was a different person then. A silent and friendless one. A naïve one. An exploited one. I can't remember a thing about assembler programming, but those days perhaps showed me that one can still care about and love things that nobody else does. Many of my early games were rubbish, but each one was a slight improvement on the former.

I'll complete those tomorrow I think and hope, then off to Macclesfield for the launch event of Joy Winkler's new book. After that I'll start on the 'master event file', then the framing of these new works. I'd like to do the file first because the new works are for the Discerning Eye, and I'd like to note this in the new file rather than use the current system.

Then I can work on the (also old) music, and only then be creative with new things. The central panel of the English triptych still needs a second layer, as does Shakespeare.

On we march.