Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Wonderland

A busy day yesterday, the final full Wonderland rehearsal. One problem was the projector videos. These appear in an annoyingly unpredictable order and the viewing order cannot be changed. They seem to appear in the order that the files are saved to the USB (nothing to do with filename or any other attribute) so I'm using Irfanview's Batch option to save out each file automatically in the right order, but yesterday this still didn't work. I'll have to hand check this today and keep trying until the order is correct. Perhaps I need to format the USB every time.

Also bought 10x lengths of wood for future framing, but not all of the wood I need was there, so I can't work on this further.

The 15mm aluminium tubing for the art photography arrived and this works well enough (much better than the steel) bit it is a little stiff and juddery. I had imagined, perhaps optimistically, that it might slide smoothly like a trombone, but the tube will never be completely straight. Perhaps I could sand out/enlarge the holes a little, although this would make things less accurate. Sanding the tube would be easier but that might decrease accuracy - but by how much? Is 1mm tolerance acceptable for a camera pointing down 1M away from the painting surface?

I need to plan the Nantwich Exhibition and work out which art goes where for a possible pop-up art shop. I keep putting this off but need to plan this as soon as possible and start to think about possible events and invite other artists to take part, if they would like.

Another thing going through my head is the rip-roarding theme to Overlander, which I've not recorded in the modern era. It exists as an OctaMED MIDI sequence for driving the SY-85 - I'm reminded that now, while I still have the synth, is the only time I could record these tracks in good quality, and some might be lost forever if I don't. They only exist in A: The Arcangel Sountrack (I can't remmeber how that was recorded, I guess via my old Soundblaster AWE-32 card) and B: Minidisc recordings, for most of them, plus C: The Roton theme and Overlander as wav files. All were recorded in onw shot without any balancing. I don't know if I can even run an OctaMED sequence nowadays.