Friday, December 23, 2022

Art For Me

Steady work on music today, a good day at last. Here are the draft words to the latest song, the recording of which started today. It has a complex chord sequence and strange timing. The lead melody is essentially a simple 4/4 song with 60 B.P.M. but there are strange jazz overtones and a 6/8 sort of rhythm in ride cymbals which gives it a very odd and jerky feeling. Everything about it is unexpected; the next note, the next drum; apart from the mood which is sleepy to the Nth degree, like something from a late night, smoke-filled, whisky-filled, jazz club where everyone is wearing sunglasses.

My problem is how to extend it beyond about 90 seconds, and as you can see, the structure is rather simple.

There's no time, for me
There's no place, for me
There's no love, for me
There's no life, for me
There's no hope,
of escape, there's only
art for me.

There are no people, for me
There are no friends, for me
but there are passions, for me
and pretends, for me
There are dreams of getting better,
being seen within the
scene of me.

There's no sleep, for me
There's no money, for me
There's no rest, for me
Only worry, for me
There's no end
except infinity, there's only
art for me.