Saturday, December 10, 2022

Painter Album Work, Lacy Adventures

A full day of music work generally. Last night I found a small Prometheus bug, so have updated again to version 3.01.

Today started by sketching out the basic chords and melody to the Cotán song. The melody is rather complex and atonal. By the second half I was unsure of the octave for the vocals, so may turn them up an octave there, as the low start may suit the plaintive mood. It sounds a bit mechanical so far, I'll need to soften and craft this over a long period.

I then started on The Lace Maker, a simple piano tune from seven years ago, written for a performance in the old Handel's Court Gallery in Chester called The Life Of Johannes Vermeer, which took place on the 16th of October 2015. This may not seem like long, but it was a lifetime ago in my piano playing ability and compositional style. The music is really simple. My plan is to speak the words over this piano background. I recorded the piano part and have added a few strings.

After that, I added the Fall in Green music to our Bandcamp page, so our albums are now available to purchase as downloads from there.

The weather is a little warmer, by observation, but the room here has still not reached the heady heights of 19 degrees. The persistent cold isn't good for my health or mood. A gamer night was scheduled for tonight but H has cancelled, due to potential ice and a sick child.

My artistic concern now is about painter songs. I have (had...) many lined up, but many are frivolous or surrealistic. Emotional power comes from relevance to reality, a connection to the soul. The songs that lack this are fun but somewhat disconnected, rather like the Sparks songs from albums like Introducing Sparks. They are interesting, but their emotion tends to be the pathos of connection with the writer rather than an interest in the songs. Here, by example, are a few verses from Lacy Adventures:

We're obsessed consumers
and we like wearing bloomers
and maybe its bad
to be a little bit mad
but we can't deny the rumours.

Today we're feeling racy,
because our pants are lacy,
and it gives us a thrill
to feel a bit of a frill
Do you think that makes us crazy?

Fun... but what has this got to do with the world now, with me, with people..? So, I'm seeking songs that have more of a connection with real experiences; but perhaps I'm overthinking things because this very sense of fun, this effervescence, this wild and surrealistic imagination, is part of my personality too. After all, I like Introducing Sparks for its very sense of exhuberace - even if it was a spectacular flop commercially, and even today probably remains unpopular.