Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Radioactive Branding, Canvas Animations

A full day. started by finalising the Radioactive update, and designing some new, much better and simpler artwork for the game branding and shop front.

This looks much more like the actual game than the other art, which was over complex. Then, charged into finalising the Spotify Canvas animations for the new album. The last two were The Laughing Cavalier and Tycho Brahe.

The cavalier is tricky for a few reasons. I can't use the famous painting due to copyright problems. I always, in my head, had the image of a happy cartoon horse bouncing along a brightly lit countryside, but I can't easily use that either, and it wouldn't fit with the other art of the album. I needed a horse image and remembered Muybridge's horse photographs, so converted some of his frames into an animation, and made the it run across the chessboard used throughout the artwork.

I made it bounce up and down, in an approximate rhythm to the music, but alas, I can't make it match the music which is at an odd 110 beats per minute. This won't easily fit in any number of 30 frames-per-second for perfect looping (and the music is, in any case, not exactly regular).

The head of Tycho was photographed and made to wobble around in a rather ghostly manner:

The animations vary. The Cotan one is one of my favourites. The Pearl Girl blinks as though alive, and the girl reading a letter uses ancient silent film imagery as I'm unsure of clearance for the Vermeer image.

Also, for the first time, I've made a few full-screen (wide) videos which may useful for lyric videos or other YouTube use. I'd often thought of using them, but wonder how... they aren't really good enough for a 'full' video. Is this still better than nothing?