Monday, March 13, 2023

Underpainting Day 1

First day of painting. It is dark and cold, and dark, and dark. I've had to use lights for most of the day, and the brittle plastic of the screw fitting in my lamp has cracked!

Painting went well enough, but the likeness is not adequate, so despite a good looking eye I have erased it in preparation for a new one tomorrow.

I decided to use Micheal Harding's fast drying white, which did a good job in drying time, but is linseed based (that man has an obsession with linseed oil, I mean, even in whites!) so I anticipate a poor prognosis for the ultimate fate of the work. I can't change white now, at least for the new eye, or else time will reveal the difference. I really feel like throwing away all Micheal Harding whites, but no! The old stock safflower white is excellent and, for this rare deadline, I need a fast drying white. Why do art competitions have deadlines at the end of winter? Idiocy.

The whole day was recorded as a series of time-lapse photographs which will continue tomorrow.