Saturday, March 18, 2023

Time-lapse

Have spent pretty much all day working on the time-lapse film I recorded while painting. The video editing was relatively easy, although the film is longer and more complex than previous time-lapse films, and required some customised pixelization.

The time consuming part was the music. In art there's often a compromise between doing one's best and doing for enjoyment, experimentation, or perhaps most commonly not doing one's best due to lack of time or resources. Just about every artist I can think of; Rembrandt, Dali, Leonardo da Vinci, van Gogh; they all at some point painted or drew things which were quick, loose, amazingly rubbishy looking compared to their normal work.

And today I felt like doing this with music; doing something quick, live and different, so I thought I'd sequence something live using the MODX; three tracks of tune which bounce along using the arpeggiator. Sometimes these experiments can produce good things. I rather like my Telly Savalas painting, made in this style, for example, but with music I always feel I can be and should be doing better, adding more polish, better timing changes etc.

After hours of playing with this, I'm unsure if I like it, but even the good elements will die if I don't use it.