Saturday, January 27, 2024

Jamming and Organs

An exceptionally musical 24-hours at the end of a very musical week. Deb's sister is visiting and last night for a few hours we all jammed together on guitar, keyboard, and bass, interchanging instruments. It was a great night. I felt tested, pressured, and I rather like that because this is the environment of live performance. I relish fighting back. Challenge is a necessary part of growth. Most of the time I stuck to the keyboard, and the key of the music kept changing with each (unannounced) capo shift of the guitar, so I had to jump from C# Major to E Major - two keys which I (joyously) hardly ever play, so this was excellent practice.

Today I've spent much of the day working on an organ piece for a new client, a job to re-sequence an existing recording. I've made a few tweaks to the arrangement, to enhance it musically a bit. I couldn't resist adding some shifts of note during the change of triad. One key reason is that sequencing makes this easier than needing to learn to play it. I made sure it was playable though.

Then, more work on the Excessive Consumption tune, which is outstandingly funky. It's something like a Sparks song as performed by Prince.