Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Music Videos and Tit for Tat

Quite a slow few days and suffering the effects of the anxious and excited weekend. Continuing to work on music videos, and hoping to move as efficiently as possible to complete a few videos, and complete The Modern Game. Time is short, and I have so much new work I must create.

I've sketched scripts for three videos so far. The trick is to work out some sort of narrative with characters in locations I can easily access. Most of my music is without lyrics, so there is a lot of freedom, but stories often need a story in the music, which can be an ethereal thing. All videos should be appealing and have a similar tone and feeling to the music. For a relaxing tune, like Islands of Memory from Synaesthesia, there might be no need for a plot as such. Ths video for this is a pretty computer animation. I would have preferred something about deep water, wildlife, old photographs and all sort of things. For now, the existing video will suffice. I really should have done this sort of thing at the time of writing the music, and find it annoying that I can't move on, but once again look backwards. I want to forget old work and push on, but often feel trapped in refining and improving and sorting out the past.

One Monday I started to make a full size mock piano, or part of one, for filming, and yesterday bought a few more props. I've also started to modify my music software to export frame numbers for different main sections of the music. This was a feature I programmed in for the Challenger music video (I think) but it could have benefitted from a few tweaks to give me some clues to where in the song different frames are.

I've also been thinking about game theory and tit for tat strategies, after watching a BBC4 programme about it. It made me wonder if this reflective behaviour, with an essential small amount of freedom that leans towards co-operation, might be some sort of universal law that can apply to economics and physics, as well as behaviours.