Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Wirral, Bickerton, David Lawton

Began this hot day by converting and editing some new painting videos, then heard that I'd got two of my three submitted paintings into the Wirral Society of Arts Open Exhibition at the Williamson Art Gallery. I've often thought about entering this exhibition, and it's been recommended to me in the past, but I don't drive so public transport access to any exhibition venue is a vital to me. Carrying paintings also limits their size. My love, darling queen of art, Deborah, helps me with deliveries and trips as much as she can, but can't always do so. In this case, the fantastic print maker and W.S.A. member, Barbara Barlow, has helped and made entering this possible. If I could get to the gallery more easily, I could probably apply to be a member; but I cannot for this reason alone. This is nothing to do with art ability. Social connections are made from overlapping webs, and those of mine concerning transport are frail.

Some exhibitions are easier than others to get to. The difficult ones for public transport include the day-trip to Machynlleth for their annual exhibition, or local galleries like the Chapel Gallery Ormskirk, and here at the Williamson. By comparison Birmingham or London are easier to get to, but everywhere is expensive. It's rare for a competition to cost under £100 in transport costs and entry fees.

In the afternoon Deborah and I drove to Bickerton to drop off four paintings for their annual exhibition and sale, another difficult place to get to, but many artists visit there, so I can often find a lift somehow. I've shown work there for many years now, this village show grew from many local village shows and has a wide mix of art; generally conservative, pretty, low priced. This show opens on July 27th and runs until the 4th of August.

After that, a trip to see David Lawton for some portrait photography and art inspiration from this master and master enthusiast of painting and literature. He is a unique artist, spending long days and weeks working on a small number of exquisite portraits, driven by an unstoppable internal passion.