Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Hallo Spaceboy

A few days working on a sound commission.

I've been listening to a few David Bowie albums too, to my chagrin I barely know his music and have recently bought five. It's amazing how much they vary in quality, and I rarely seem to agree with the critics about which is better or worse. I've always liked Hallo Spaceboy as a track, I've heard it here and there over the years, yet, I can't find the version I like. I don't like the album version on the, brilliantly inventive, 1. Outside. That version sounds like a good song badly obscured by a concrete saw. The Pet Shop Boys single version sounds very clean and emotionally dead, deadpan like all Pet Shop Boys music, and with awful 'Major Tom' lyrics squished in, hammered in like a Haribo sweet. Perhaps the Live Glastonbury version is the good version I'm thinking of. I'm tempted to re-record it.