Friday, October 29, 2021

Sendy, Hackney Post Story, Kwaidan and Earth Destruction Dream

A day of recovery yesterday. I still feel overly tired and probably need more of a break after the intense 4 or 5 weeks of music work, but a lot more is to be done, and I remain filled with enthusiasm and joy about it.

I spent the morning trying to get my email program Sendy to work. I had to upgrade it in the end, and this led to a slight change to the newsletter sign-up pages on my websites as these used the old http rather than https protocol. The difference meant a (nonsensical) 'not secure' message in Chrome. Well, all fixed now. I then prepared a message about the Halloween Steam Sale and sent a few messages out.

In the evening, I was happily notified about a great story in the Hackney Post about the Galleria Balmain exhibition, and my participation in it, by journalist Carla Abreu:

Deb and I had salad for tea, and three desserts: organic raspberries and Chambord, tiramisu, and some hugely sweet and fluffy glucose blobs called Kisses. We started to watch a 1960s Japanese film called Kwaidan, a gentle and beautiful anthology of ghost stories.

I went to bed, feeling generally exhausted, and dreamt of meeting Prince William and Kate. I was invited to a meal with them. I felt naturally honoured, and the three of us ate and I talked about which foods were the most environmentally stable. I said pasta, then potatoes and probably other staples.

Then, I heard about some impending global crisis, and I saw, from the window in our palatial (and slightly sci-fi) dining room, that the futuristic-looking Earth was being attacked by an enemy planet. It appeared though that the huge city buildings were being destroyed by Earth aircraft, blown to pieces with missiles. In the blue sky, the crescent of a new planet was visible, being built or appearing. At first I thought this was the planet Mongo, the antagonist attacking Earth and I felt that I, the Flash Gordon, was set to board a rocket-ship with Zarkov and Dale Arden and fly there to save the Earth; then it appeared to me that this planet was a new Earth, a replacement for the one being destroyed. I went into the street, and my companions, including a woman like Dale Arden or April O'Neil (Prince William and Duchess Catherine were still in the dream too, somewhere).

Dale had an important message to broadcast about how the Earth could be saved and asked me to unlock an antenna which was like a box kite, a black structure on a huge cable. I released this and it unfurled, shooting me really high in the sky. I gripped to the object in terror as the wind made it sway. There the dream ended.

Some of the imagery in Kwaidan, the eyes in the sky in the Snow Queen story, certainly influenced the dream, and the meal perhaps related to the meal I had earlier too.