Saturday, October 02, 2021

Stay Inside Got To Hide

Very inspured and filled with idas for this music. A sleepless night last night resulted in a few more lyrics - I find the early hours in bed the best time to write these, which are later edited and typed up. I've revived two songs from last year and finished the writing.

I've been working on the full production to one today, a Dylan-esque folk song about the fear of social-media backlash/cancel culture/self-censorship. There are some nods to early Bowie, the Kinks during their Village Green Preservation Society era, and more, but it wasn't directly inspired by any one song. I wrote most of the words last August, but it had no chorus as such, it was largely a long poem with a lot of internal rhyme, like something Edgar Allen Poe might write if he felt like writing a light-hearted folk song. The words will remain enigmatic for now because they need to be seen in full and heard with the music, the working title is Stay Inside Got To Hide.

The production is simple, but wasn't easy because the words were written first and the music expanded to fit, so the overall structure is complex, despite only three chords. The backing consisted of saw waves, but today I recorded acoustic guitar for this as I'd always planned. I much prefer to use my beloved Yamaha F-310 guitar and a plain mic, rather than my electro acoustic. The latter is easier to play and record, but just doesn't sound as good. Most of the song is a simple loop in D-Major and I've banded and compressed it so it sounds modern, more like 90s Bowie than 60s Dylan. At times I was reminded of Telephone and Rubber Band by Penguin Café Orchestra.

The beat is a steady thump at 90 beat-per-minute, a recording of me pounding my desk with my fist.