Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Meet The Artist

A long but happy day visiting the Galleria Balmain shop yesterday. People seem hesitant to enter shops, and the footfall, even in the normally very busy high street, is subdued. Less than 10 people per day enter the shop - would have expected nearer 100, but the gallery, in this first exhibition, has sold more work than online so far, which vindicates the shop format. My work is getting lots of attention, the Philosopher painting is a hit and is certain to sell sooner or later, and the quality of the artists and work on show is generally really high. Everything is right and good here. I can feel this magic combination of artists and management, this 'X factor'. It's a secret waiting to be discovered, which itself is exciting, and the key here is persistence. The exhibition will continue for another week or so yet.

It was nice to to be visited by Andrew, who by chance was on a London break, and I managed to speak with a few nice visitors, all enthused and enthusiastic, and the day was generally full of positive moments.

We left at 6pm to so and walked slowly back to the station along the night streets and pretty lights, every class of person mixing with every other class. Even in trendy Brick Lane my hat had a few glances and compliments. I played the public piano in Euston Station, just improvising.

I always think of these old pianos like people. Abused by time and never in good tuning, left in the cold to jangle and jar, yet the upper tones were fresh and clean and would ring out across the hall. This is so much better than piped in electric music. Wouldn't it be amazing if all shops had their own piano? Or asked other players to bring instruments? A Marks & Spencer's chamber orchestra in every shop...

It was a late train and my aching limbs reached my bed at nearly midnight. Today, lots of admin work. Mel Woodend has got back to me with a list of possible poets for Neorenaissance, and she's given up her writing place to make way for another poet, and agreed to come to the reading event (or events). This is so kind of her. I'm reminded of Sue's words from last weekend about how brilliant Stoke people are. We must count our blessings.

I now have two dates: 29th Jan and 5th Feb for poetry reading events, with a maximum (so far) of a paltry 12 people in the museum at once. Two events are better than one anyway, the more the better, but really, I'd prefer more people as well as two events. The few poems I've received from the Write Out Loud poets, some are really beautiful works. Sometimes several poems have been written about the same painting, which always irks me; I want one per painting, but for the sake of art I can't exclude any of these poems or poets. I still have a few poets to confirm, and have received only a few poems of the 30 or so I need... a long way to go and only 4 weeks until this deadline.

I'm still aching all over from yesterday's exertion. How much work art is... I am climbing this mountain with great effort. Surely all effort is worth something, in the end? Rest exists only relative to effort. There can be no victory without a battle.

I want to paint more, write more, do more, but right now feel exhausted. Soon (I can't say when, it is a contractual secret) the Steam Halloween Sale 2021 will start. I need to prepare for that. More e-paperwork, but important work, this may be my only income this month. So, in 48 hours I go from music production and singing, to a painting event, to organising two poetry events, and now computer game promotion.