Sunday, July 10, 2022

Descartes Colour Study, Ethics In A Time of Revolution Underpainting

A slow day. Started by painting a colour study to the Time Independent Portrait Of Rene Descartes. This is a complex work and while working on it I realised that there is a direct link between this and Beethoven's music in that I can feel my thought processes happening and being applied to the canvas as I composed, much like Beethoven's later symphonies, which can meander as it thinking, probing for an idea. Here it is exactly the same.

My colour choices are strong and strange, almost gaudy. I'm reminded of a few things by this. Firstly that, for me, a representation of some reality is important, and that means a location, a horizon, floor and sky. In this painting, there are parts of this. This adds a sense of place, but there is a lot 'going on' to, time and space are fragmenting, and they are supposed to be; the painting is about simultaneous time and the collapse of thought in 4-dimensional space, so place is needed so that it can break, collapse. The colours often clash, an eternal battle. I've used much brighter yellows here than I normally use in a colour study, it's these that have changed my palette, and also violet, which I rarely use because I dislike the intensity of dioxazine, yet the ultra-beauty of ultramarine violet is almost too delicate to use. This work also uses green extensively. In hue it's closer to Raphael than anything I've painted before. For the final painting, I will make adjustments.

In the afternoon, I started to watch the film Equus, fascinating.

At 2pm I decided to paint, impatient. I know that this week, this busy week, will be hard to fit any painting in, but I must paint so must make time. I began the basic underpainting of 'Ethics In A Time of Revolution: Social Media Paranoia' - it effectively has two simultaneous titles, both equally valid and important.

I think that the hues for the final work will be slightly more muted, browner. A palette of muted browns alone add decorum and a beauty to almost anything. I perhaps love ashen greys, muted browns and touch of blue more than any combination.

I painted until 7pm. Tomorrow is delivery for a new exhibition in Bunbury Church; I'll show: G810A Arturo The Genius Mouse 4, G108A You Must Report To Oncology, G263D Bird Orbiting A Black Hole.