Friday, November 04, 2022

Cycles, Empires of Eternity

A rather tedious, and not very productive, day of constant work. I updated Prometheus a minor version, fixing a rare but important crash bug, then started to score more existing works. I started by re-formatting the basic template for these proto-published works.

I then scored out The Astronomer and Remembering Love from The Anatomy of Emotions. The latter seemed to differ quite a lot from the played version. How old both of these seem in terms of technical ability and musical variation, proof that the Salomé music is step above. In an effort to make more progress I started on Cycles, but I found that those scores (among my earliest) were even more difficult, and far from the recorded versions. Cycles I didn't even have the correct title and I struggled to find the various parts. I'd also forgotten that some parts of this piano concerto for synthetic orchestra has several sections with no piano playing, rare for me. I might have to score those bits note by note from the Prometheus sequence. it might take a couple of days for each work/track/song, which is too long.

I'm in two minds about what to do next; work on a simple album, perhaps The End And The Beginning, or Heart Of Snow, or push on with this slow work. Scores for anything are, perhaps, a little pointless in the short term, but in the long term, I must ensure that my work is recorded - this is my motivation.

In the night, I became aware of the trends in my work for accurate and complete recording, meticulous filing and ordering, something rare for most people. Over time, the work I've done has become more thoroughly documented because of new methods, and the patience and resolve to apply these methods to all past works. This scoring activity is a symptom of something that applies to all of my work, and I can envisage a future of a large creative resource.

To date: I've produced and published 271 written essays, booklets, and books; 64 albums, singles or EPs, 461 videos or films of different lengths; taken part in 649 exhibitions, competitions or performance events; written 1897 songs or poems; produced 1337 visual artworks; 1113 instrumental compositions or music sequences; and created 85 software games or programs.

It's notable that the games I spent 20 years solitary work on, are the least well documented and least in number. Filing systems encourage and compliment the creative process. A blank shelf aches for books.

Generally my work is coalescing into a body of work which could be played under one large umbrella organisation, a veritable media empire.