Monday, November 14, 2022

Dylan Rehearsals, New Songs, Prometheus Finalising

A full day, started by tidying up old songs and notes from the past few months, including a long song called The Loneliness Society and this:

For The Deaf Listener

You can never know our silence.
Our frequencies are so low
that they swarm around you
undetected, the shades
of location.

Which has a haiku quality. I then rehearsed some of the songs for the Dylan night. It's odd that of all of the many features on the MODX, the ability to simply transpose an instrument up or down isn't easy. I can bend the note, or program each voice component to shift in semitones, or even the whole keyboard, but not the instrument as a whole, which is so useful during a live show, the keyboard equivalent of attaching a capo to a guitar. Well, one of the songs I'm due to play on is 2-semitones higher (when played by the band) that notated, so rather than manually transpose and undergo the awkwardness of the unusual F#-minor and B-minor chords, I've decided to simple transpose the keyboard as notated.

I'm due to play The Mighty Quinn too, which was surprisingly complex due to the chords staying the same rather than changing - I kept wanting to change on instinct! I also worked on my two songs. Times Are Staying The Same will be simply stroked on piano but is in a rather high register.

After that, more changes to Prometheus, again generally efficiencies. The look of the notes has changed for the first time, with new ones shown in their semitone space, so one of 12 notes. Before this, the whole 5 octaves were represented, but this isn't feasible with 10 octaves, it's of little use with 5. Doing this has saved lots of graphics memory, all good.

I need an ambitious plan for the rest of the week.