Wednesday, January 04, 2023

Cotan Vocals

I remain in a creative limbo, waiting for my hard drive to be fitted into George. The cradle is due to arrive on Saturday.

I have got audio capabilities now though, so today recorded the, or some, vocals for Cotan. In my mind, the song was strangely whispered. The vocals start at a low D, so can be sung low or high, so I've sung the intro low and the chorus an octave up. It's more of a jump than a growth, but the effect is something like the Alphaville song Victory of Love. The mixing isn't easy as the low vocals are in the same mid-range as the backing, there is little treble, so I've boosted their volume and distorted them to add some fuzz, which mimics the sound of my original concept. I've also added a 10ms pitch-wobbled version of the vocals too, which sounds a bit like an evil Dalek, but it seems to work.

The strange limbo of not having full access to the computer, and the stress of fitting a new drive, which won't happen until mid-Saturday, is stopping a lot of work. I can't update my website, events for the year, programming, or complete the 2022 backups.

At times I barely feel like an artist; out of touch with the world, irrelevant because I'm not working. I must use this time to prepare and foster plans.