Saturday, January 21, 2023

Plugin Programming

A final day of finishing my audio plugin programming; today time updating 41 'old' modules which use the 'Randy Monotone Sample II' effect and changing that to the new 'Randy Monotone Samplex' plugin, which can be a 1:1 replacement but with a few extra functions. Things change over the years, so Prometheus has a feature to auto-update any existing plugin to a different one, copying over or changing any parameters as needed. This can be used for upgrades like this, but also to simply change one to another, like changing all saw wave generators to sine, for example.

The day has been generally too anxious and horrible. Programming is about the fear of breaking something, a facing up of human inadequacies to computer perfection. I've a folder which keeps reappearing on my system, ever since Jan 2nd. I've deleted it twice today alone. It's a common Windows problem and I've done everything in the online lists of ways to fix it, but it keeps coming back. I've set all permissions to full mine, all permissions to full everyone, deleted to Recycle Bin, deleted outright, checked for errors and malware. I think it stems from my changing the drive letters (Windows probably hated that). Today I tried CCleaner but, terrifyingly, the sound suddenly vanished from my system after a 'clean up'. The driver was there, everything looked there, but no sound came out. I managed to undo the changes, but I'm not sure why or what happened. I hope all is well.

Generally, the past two weeks have felt like treading on proverbial eggshells, walking through a proverbial minefield with this new computer. I expect I'll settle down, as things continue, but I hate this feeling and it's not generally like me. I like to dive into new technology and new toys, trying everything with fearless zeal, but this machine feels both super powerful and delicate and buggy, as well as containing my life's work. I have an amazing knack for finding bugs in Windows.

I'll get back to music next and try to avoid programming or system changes. Hopefully a few days or weeks of this will help my quivering mind and body. The freezing weather this week and weekend hasn't helped. Onwards we roll our rock.